Thursday, February 2, 2012

I have decided...I think...

Last week I was looking for triathlons to do near where I live and was checking out websites and doing my research and I found this!  I immediately was stoked, it's the first year, July is a great time of the year around here and my mom lives there, WIN-WIN!

Then I saw it was a Half iron man!  I quickly emailed a new blogger, tri friend to ask her, her opinion!  Do you think I can do a half ironman?  I always like to ask the professionals!

My goal has always been to do Sprint & Olmpic distances this summer and wait to do a half ironman until Summer 2013, until I saw this in Portland.  A few of you reciveded texts, phone calls, emails...I need to process with others when I'm thinking about doing something like this.  Especially those of you who have gone before me!  Many of you encouraged and told me I could do it!  

I was really thinking I might do it.  The truth is...I know I could finish a half ironman.  I have enough time (6 months) to train and I just know I could push myself to do it and FINISH.

But in the last couple of days I realized I want to do my best at the half ironman!  Not that doing it in 6 months wouldn't be my best...but I want to be trained, prepared and ready for it.  I want to fully know what I'm doing and be prepared for how it will feel and how I can handle it.  Not to mention...triathlons are not a cheap sport, the cost for the Portland Half Ironman is $250 which is fine except that I don't just want to do it...I want to do it well!  

So with all that said and all of your kind words and thoughts, which I so appreciated..it meant a lot!  I have decided to wait until Tri-season 2013 to go after the half, but I am pretty sure I will do the Olympic Rev3 Portland!  I feel good about it.  I am really excited to slowly invest in good products and test them out this summer. I plan to do additional tri's leading up to Portland and after as well!

It's hard to hold back on something that I know I will eventually do and I love having BIG goals ahead of me...sooner rather than later, but for now this is GOOD!  I just got back into swimming, which I know I can improve on greatly, I still need to buy a road bike and get used to that whole world (biking) and running...I can always improve on my running!  I feel like for me...this will be the best thing!

For now I'm looking forward to Tri Season!

Who's coming with me?  Come on...always more fun to do tri's with friends!



12 comments:

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

It really can be hard to hold back, but you're smart about it. I've also heard amazing things about how REV3 runs their events. I'm doing my first REV3 event in June because of it.

Best of luck keeping the doubt from creeping back in! haha

Marlene said...

Sounds like the right call. I agree that you could certainly complete it, but you want to go into something like this feeling MORE than ready. It's kind of a big deal! haha! Sounds like a great plan! :)

fancy nancy said...

I'm sure it was a tough decision but it sounds like the best for you. I totally get not wanting to just finish! I know you will rock it in 2013!! Good luck getting tri ready....not so sure about that just yet. The swimming gets me...and all the technicalities like I get out of the water soaking wet and then jump on a bike...and there is no chafing???

Unknown said...

You are so smart ease into it. Half Ironmans are crazy expensive (more than the cost of two half marathons, hehe!)

Now, maybe I can come watch you this summer at your tri! Definitely in 2013 for a HI...

track coach and adorable wife said...

That is probably a good plan! I love that you are getting into Tris. If you are in the market for another one, you can join Jesse and I in Chelan in July. It gets bigger and better every year. Good luck!

Kerrie said...

I'm so excited for you!

H Love said...

we may be crossing paths..wink, wink.

ajh said...

I'm on board but with a sprint or two or three. Can't wait to see what you get for equipment. I have so much to figure out.

ajh said...

Also - let me know what you think of Unbroken and Cutting With Stone.

Jo Lynn said...

How exciting! I'm doing an Oly this year too - in April. I'd join you but you're too far away. ;)

Ricole said...

I might be interested! I really want to do a triathlon this year! I definitely need toget some bike riding in. When is it?!

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Ok, I fully support your decision but I know you could have done very well this season. I think a half iron is like doing your first full marathon. It is unknown, there is a learning curve. Just like in running races you gain experience with all the smaller races but they aren't the same when it comes to the full 26.2...what I am trying to say is that no matter what, your first half iron will be your first half iron and you will do your best-this year or next! And there will...I repeat THER WILL be another! =) you can't do just one! So, IMO there is always room for improvement, my first marathon was my BEST! Never to be replicated. My first half iron-well, it was amazing! And I can't wait to improve on my next one!!!

So, it may seem I am pressuring you to do it in 2012 but i believe you can! I had 4 sprint tris under my belt when I jumped to 70.3. But I'm kinda crazy---

Love you Jill!!! And you can do it!! This year or next!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...